I’m Being Evicted. What Happens If I Lose My Case?

The judge will sign a “writ” ordering the sheriff or marshal to physically eject you if you don’t leave within a certain period of time (usually 5 days from the courts final verdict). Your lawyer might be able to persuade the judge to give you a “stay” – extending this period for a week or longer in order to provide you with more time to find alternative living arrangements and to store your personal belongings.

In addition to having you physically ejected, the landlord may be able to obtain a deficiency judgment against you for money damages. This might cover unpaid rent, damage to the premises, lawyer’s fees, and court filing costs. If you don’t pay the judgement amount, the landlord has the right to execute on the judgement by garnishing your wages or by placing a lien on your car or property.

More On Related Tenant Rights Discussions >>

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *