Public Housing – HUD

Public HousingHUD 

The Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) administers federal aid to local Public Housing Agencies (PHAs).

Local PHAs establish and manage public housing to provide decent and safe rental housing for eligible low-income families, the elderly, and people with disabilities at rents they can afford. Public housing comes in all sizes and types, from scattered single-family houses to high-rise apartments for elderly families. HUD also furnishes technical and professional help in planning, developing, and managing these developments.

State and federal government agencies jointly handle public housing questions, such as those concerning laws, regulations, sanitation, and safety. Because state governments usually implement the federal housing regulations, HUD recommends that you contact your state housing finance agency for help with these types of questions.

Complaints about a PHA

For more information, including how to lodge a complaint against a local PHA, call the Public and Indian Housing (PIH) Customer Service Center.

Do you need help? Ask us any question about the U.S. government for free. We’ll get you the answer, or we’ll tell you where to find it.


Chat with


Source: >State Directory Of Homeless And Transitional Shelters, Food Banks, Food Stamps, Section 8 Housing, Legal Aid, Financial Aid…

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *