Consumer Rights – Products

Common questions about products and consumer rights

How many people have ordered an item only to wonder if they can return it? This is an example of a question about a product. Read below to get the answer to these and other products related questions.

After I ordered a product, can I change my mind?

It depends. On occasion, a consumer gets pressured into making a buying decision. However, most states favor the view that purchases should be made voluntarily. In response to high-pressure sales tactics many states have enacted what is called a “cooling off” period in favor of the consumer. This means the consumer is afforded the protection of cooling down from the pressure of the sale. Usually the cooling off grace period is limited to a short period of time like two or three days after the sale was made.

Under Federal law, depending on the type of product or transaction, the consumer will have until midnight of the third business day after the contract was signed to cancel. For the law in your state, it is strongly advised that you consult with a lawyer immediately.

Do I have to pay for products I never ordered?

Absolutely not. If you received product in the mail that you in fact did not order you are under no obligation to pay for it. In fact most states will treat the delivery of such a product as a gift. Don’t get bullied or threatened into paying for such a product. Insist that the seller produce proof that you in fact ordered the product. If the seller continues to bill you or threaten suit or adverse collection reporting, contact your state consumer protection agency immediately.

Can I refuse to pay if I ordered by credit card?

If you purchased a product by credit card you are still obligated to pay. The fact you ordered by credit card does not mean you can breach a contract. However, if you in good faith believe you did not get what was promised to you, charge card companies usually allow you to dispute the charge. This might result in a charge back for the seller and a credit to you. However, under federal law, you must first make a good faith attempt to resolve your dispute with the seller.


Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *