How To Make A Complaint – The Fair Housing Act Prohibits Housing Discrimination

How to Make a Complaint – The Fair Housing Act Prohibits Housing Discrimination

The office you report your complaint to depends on the nature of the complaint.

Housing Discrimination – This information explains how to file a housing discrimination complaint by phone at 1-800-669-9777, online, or by mail.

Office of the Inspector General Hotline – The hotline allows you to report fraud, waste, abuse, or serious mismanagement in HUD or HUD-funded programs from HUD employees, contractors, and the public. You may contact the hotline at 1-800-347-3735.

Multifamily Housing Complaint Line – This line allows you to report complaints with a property’s management such as poor maintenance, dangers to health and safety, mismanagement, and fraud. You may contact the complaint line by phone at 1-800-MULTI-70 (1-800-685-8470).

Identify and Complain about Housing Discrimination

Housing discrimination happens when a housing provider acts in a way that blocks someone from renting or buying housing because of their

Race or color



National origin

Familial status (such as having children)


A housing provider that discriminates against someone could be a landlord or a real estate management company. It could also be a lending institution like a bank or other organization that is an important part of acquiring a home.

The Fair Housing Act prohibits housing discrimination.

Discrimination covered by the Act can take many different forms beyond just raising prices or lying about availability. For example, the Act addresses wheelchair access in some newer properties. Learn what the Fair Housing Act covers, how to complain, and how the investigation process works.

File a Housing Discrimination Complaint

If you think you are a victim of housing discrimination,

Complete and submit a Housing Discrimination Complaint Form or

Contact your regional HUD office

The Fair Housing Act does not specifically prohibit discrimination based on sexual orientation or gender identity. But discrimination against someone who is lesbian, gay, bisexual, or transgender (LGBT) may still be in violation of the Act or other state or local regulations.  If you think you’ve been discriminated against for these reasons, file a complaint as described above, or e-mail HUD at with general questions about LGBT housing issues.


Source:> State Directory Of Homeless And Transitional Shelters, Food Banks, Food Stamps, Section 8 Housing, Legal Aid, Financial Aid…

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *