The process of giving up one’s citizenship. Under U.S. law, this can be done only by a U.S. citizen overseas before a U.S. Consul under oath, and the person must first establish that he is doing so voluntarily and that he has a legal status in another country. A person may not expatriate himself if it would render him stateless.

« Back to Glossary Index

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *