Possession of Medical Marijuana While Driving – What Are The Penalties? Q&A

MARIJUANA IMPAIRED DRIVING Q.  My son was arrested for drunk driving but they also found a small amount of medical marijuana in his possession. Since, medical marijuana is legal in California, can he still be sited for driving under the influence of marijuana? A. That depends. While medical marijuana is legal in California with proper Read more…

Retaining Drunk Driving Defense Counsel – Fee Arrangements

What If My Blood Alcohol Is Substantially Over The Legal Limit – Do I Still Need A lawyer? If this is your first DUI and there are no aggravating circumstances or special allegations charged in your case, you might be better off pleading to the court without the help of a lawyer. The probability that a lawyer can Read more…

The Other Driver Caused The Accident So Why Was I Arrested For Drunk Driving? Q&A

Q.  The Other Driver Caused The Accident So Why Was I Arrested For Drunk Driving? A.  Many states like California limit an intoxicated person’s ability to recover damages. For example, if you were stopped for a red light and another driver collided with your vehicle from behind, there is no question that the other driver was entirely to blame Read more…

How Does A Drunk Driving Conviction Effect Your Auto Insurance?

Although all states forbid insurance companies to deny coverage to policy holders because of race, religion, residence, age, or occupation, you should be aware that your policy may be canceled or your premiums dramatically increased for being convicted of a drunk driving offense. Most insurance companies will cancel your insurance or dramatically raise your premiums if Read more…

Drunk Driving – “Per-Se” Driving Laws

Almost all states have enacted per-se driving laws in cases involving drunk driving. A per-se drunk driving offense is when a driver is determined to be assumed guilty of the crime of drunk driving by the mere fact the prosecution has demonstrated the driver was over the legal limit at the time the chemical test was administered, irrespective of whether the Read more…

Drunk Driving – Challenging Blood Alcohol Levels

In most states, if there is probable cause to believe that you were driving while impaired, you will be asked to submit to a chemical test to determine if your blood alcohol level is greater than the legal limit set by law. If you are at or exceed this legal limit you will be presumed to be too intoxicated to safely Read more…

Drunk Driving – When Police Can Legally Stop, Detain And Arrest Driver

The Police Right To Stop And Detain… All  drunk driving cases start out with a contact between the driver of a motor vehicle and a police officer. While the police have the right to approach and speak with any person, they do not have the right to detain and investigate  someone unless they have “reasonable suspicion ” Read more…