Affordable Housing – Low Income Public Housing

Affordable Housing – Low Income Public Housing

People with low income, seniors, and people with disabilities may qualify for help from the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) to get affordable rental housing. HUD doesn’t own rental property. It gives money to states and building owners, who in turn provide low-income housing opportunities.

Get Personalized Help with Your Search

Find a HUD-approved housing counselor in your area online or call 1-800-569-4287 to find a local housing counseling agency. The counselor may be from a non-profit organization approved to offer advice on housing assistance.

Search by Type of Program

There are three main types of affordable rental housing that are supported by HUD:

Privately owned, subsidized housing that offers reduced rents to low-income tenants. Search for an apartment and apply directly at the management office.

Public Housing, which is state-owned, affordable rental houses or apartments for low-income families, the elderly, and people with disabilities. To apply, contact a public housing agency in your state.

Housing Choice Voucher Program (previously called Section 8), in which you find a rental property yourself, and use the voucher to pay for all or part of the rent. To apply, contact a public housing agency in your state.

If you have trouble contacting your local public housing agency, contact your local HUD field office for help.

If you’re a landlord, learn how you can participate in the Housing Choice Voucher Program (Section 8).

Find Loans and Other Incentives

The most common type of financial help from the government for home repairs or modifications is through home improvement loan programs backed by the government.

The loans are through traditional lenders, like banks, but the programs help these lenders make loans that they might normally not fulfill. Some programs are available on a nationwide basis, while others are only on a state or county level. To learn about the options available to you, contact your local Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) office.

You can also contact your local, state, or county government housing department. Find out about loans and other incentives for energy efficient modifications in your state.

Assistance for Certain Demographic Groups

Learn about housing programs the following groups:

Veterans can contact the Department of Veterans Affairs Home Loans Service.

Senior citizens can browse the Home Repair and Modification section on the Eldercare Locator website from the Department of Health and Human Services.

People with disabilities can contact a local vocational rehabilitation service office.

Native Americans can call the Public and Indian Housing (PIH) Customer Service Center.

Rural residents can contact a local Rural Development office for information about rural housing grants and loans.


Source: USA.GOV> State Directory Of Homeless And Transitional Shelters, Food Banks, Food Stamps, Section 8 Housing, Legal Aid, Financial Aid…

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *